Economic Development Home
Pine Tree Zone
Small Business Development Ctr
Tax Increment Financing
Local Workforce Investment Bd
PTAC - Working With Government
Workforce Development (Workforce Investment Act)
On February 15, 2010 the fiscal administration of the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) was transferred from the County of Aroostook to Northern Maine Development Commission.
Maine is comprised of four workforce investment regions. The Aroostook & Washington counties region is the largest geographic workforce investment area in the state and covers over 9,000 square miles. Some of the responsibilities of the Workforce Development Department are:
- Plan, oversee, and evaluate local workforce development programs, including the CareerCenter operations in Presque Isle, Machias, and Calais.
- Direct WIA compliance through interactions and negotiations with the Maine Department of Labor, Bureau of Employment Services and through CareerCenter oversight.
- Partner with the economic development community to promote the region’s economic prosperity.
- Serve as the point of contact for business and industry, facilitating communications regarding workforce needs in our area.
- Assess regional business needs and align programs and services to meet those needs; thereby ensuring the availability of qualified workers and promoting coordination among business and the public sector.
- Implement a comprehensive workforce development system that adds value for job seekers, incumbent workers and employers. Promote strategies to encourage life-long learning, improve workplace skills and assist in the development of new training programs to benefit the region’s workforce.
- Actively seek federal and state grant funds and build partnerships with other agencies to offer training and education programs to unemployed, incumbent and dislocated workers and youth.
For more information please contact Ryan Pelletier at 498-8736 or by e-mail at email@example.com
To access the Tri County Workforce Investment Board, click here.
For more information, contact Ryan Pelletier, Director of Workforce Development at 207-498-8736 or 1-800-427-8736.