Planning Home


Scenic Byways

Planning Board Training - DVTM



Land Use

Code Enforcement

Cooperative Purchasing

Emergency Preparedness


Household Hazardous Waste

Saturday, June 11
Presque Isle
8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Pre-registration required. Please call Connie to register.
207-498-8736 or 1-800-427-8736

Click Here to view HHW accepted and not accepted.


What are Household Hazardous Wastes?

How do I know if I have household hazardous wastes in my home? Surprise! We allHHW generate household hazardous wastes. The average American generates about 15 pounds of household hazardous waste a year. Most of household hazardous waste ends up at the landfill, in septic systems or sewage treatment plants if you pour it down your drains. Sometimes, people pour the waste directly onto the ground, or in storm drains, which empty into local rivers and streams. Eventually, these wastes make it back into our drinking water supply.

Until recently, we did not pay much attention to household hazardous wastes. Few realized the dangerous make-up of the products we use or we thought the amount was so small it would not matter.

The problem with household hazardous wastes is that they are exempt from federal and state hazardous waste regulations. Most of it gets placed in your household garbage right along with other non-hazardous types of wastes that your trash hauler picks up weekly.

Many common household products have hazardous properties. Take a look at your cleaning supplies or look around the basement or garage. Storage of these wastes poses safety and health hazards for homeowners. Products that exist in high concentration, such as aerosols and polishes are very volatile

How do I dispose of my Household Hazardous Waste?

Residents who are spring cleaning may find hazardous products - such as old turpentine, paint thinners, pesticides, waste gasoline and pharmaceuticals - in their homes, garages or barns. NMDC organizes annual HHW collections in the summer. Stay tuned for more information as to when these events are held.

Items to be Accepted in the Household Hazardous Waste Collection

Brake Fluid
Paint remover/Thinners
Charcoal Lighter Fluids
Pool and Photo Chemicals
Linseed Oil
Used Antifreeze
Oven/Drain Cleaners
Battery Acid/Muriatic Acid
Waste Gasoline

Wastes NOT accepted at Household Hazardous Waste Collections

Ammunition:  Call your local police department.

Asbestos, Commercial and Industrial Waste:  Call Maine Department of Environmental Protection in Presque Isle. Lou Pizzuti 1-888-769-1053 OR 764-0477.

Car, Lawn Mower, and Boat Batteries:  Return to the place where they were purchased, or to your local transfer station for recycling.

Fireworks & Explosives:  Call Maine State Police @ Houlton Barracks 532-5400.

Flashlight Batteries:  AA, AM, C&D types – also known as alkaline batteries.  Since 1993, alkaline batteries no longer contain dangerous levels of heavy metals and can be disposed of with your regular garbage. 

Fluorescent Light Bulbs, Mercury Containing Products, Television/Computer Monitors:  Can be brought to your local transfer station for recycling. A small fee may be charged for some items.

Infectious & Biological Waste:  Call your local hospital safety department for disposal options.

Latex/Oil Based Paint:  Paint cannot be disposed of when in liquid form. Open the can to dry the paint, or add kitty litter or waste paint hardener to speed up the drying process.  Once paint is dry, the paint can may be disposed of with your regular garbage. 

Medical Sharps:  People who use medical sharps will be able to safely dispose of containers of their used needles in a special kiosk located in the Caribou Police Department Lobby. The kiosk is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Pesticides:  The Board of Pesticides Control (BPC) and the Department of Environmental Protection provide citizens with a responsible, free solution to their obsolete pesticide problem. Once a year, these agencies collect obsolete pesticides brought to sites across Maine. Contact the BPC (207) 287-2731, or e-mail

Pharmaceuticals:   Take to your local police department for disposal of unused or unwanted drugs and medications anytime during the year.

Propane Tanks:  Take them to your local transfer station, if they are accepted there.

Rechargeable Batteries:  Nickel cadmium (NI-CAD), lithium, small sealed lead, and nickel metal hydroxide batteries  often used in power tools, cell phones, and camcorders,  can be brought to your local transfer station , or in some cases, the place where they purchased, for recycling.




For more information email
Connie Akerson or call 498-8736 or toll free in Maine

Local Programs

Household Hazardous Waste

Universal Wastee




Upcoming Eventss


Click Here to view the danger symbols and find out what makes a substance hazardous.



NMDC Aroostook Partnership for Progress Aroostook County Tourism NBRC Aroostook Empowerment Zone Maine SBDC
Local Workforce Investment Board
Northern Maine Development Commission - Phone: 207-498-8736 - Copyright 2018