NMDC provides comprehensive planning services funded through the Department of Conservation, Agriculture, and Forestry and the Department of Transportation, municipal dues, and fee-for-service arrangements. Staff provides guidance ranging from phone calls to attendance at meetings and field visits.
NMDC offers assistance to Aroostook County communities in all areas of the preparation of local Comprehensive Plans. NMDC helps communities:
- Form a committee with sufficient local input to prepare a representative Comprehensive Plan
- Develop a Community Vision
- Write a Comprehensive Plan through a contract for services and get it approved by the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation, and Forestry
The development of a comprehensive plan requires a significant amount of time and data. There are several locations where data and other information can be obtained.
- Maine’s Growth Management Act
- Chapter 208 Comprehensive Plan Review Criteria Rule
- Community Visioning Handbook: This handbook describes what a community vision is, provided a guide to create the community vision, and gives an example of one communities vision.
- Maine Stream Habitat Viewer
Jay Kamm, Senior Planner
PO Box 779
Caribou, ME 04736
(207) 551-5807 (cell)